Why It’s Great To Be Sick:
- You get to sleep a whole bunch with none of the guilt. Ten hour nap on a Tuesday? It’s ok… I’m sick.
- People go out of their way to do stuff for you. Need your new stationary bike assembled but don’t have the energy? Don’t worry, you won’t have to even ask, you can just stay on the couch and give ‘helpful’ instructions in-between naps. Love ya, Andy!
- It’s a great excuse to keep people from invading your personal space. “Oh you want me to hold your baby? Gosh, I sure would love to but darn it, I’m sick… Oops, looks like he puked a little on you, how cute.”
- You can surround yourself with comfort foods and drinks in an effort to feel better. Chai tea latte? Check. Panera cheddar & broccoli soup? Check. A swimming pool of ginger ale? CHECK. Added bonus- most if not all items are hand delivered by a sympathetic loved one or friend. Such service.
- You can look like a slob, skip showers etc. and no one will say ‘boo’ about it.
- Your puppy dog intuits that you need a snuggle buddy and is happy to oblige by sleeping on your chest or in the curve of your neck for most of the afternoon.
- Your voice takes on a husky, raspy tone so you can practice your Jessica Rabbit impressions with impressive accuracy.
- Even the smallest accomplishment seems worth of celebration. A successful trip to the toilet? Awesome! You brought in the mail all by yourself? Wow. You, my friend, are a rock star.
- Bed time is any time.
- Your breath is perpetually fresh thanks to the Honey, Lemon & Echinacea Ricola you’re popping like Tic Tacs.
The Not So Fantastic Reality:
The above story was inspired by the following tidbits I encountered today:
ONE: Ok, so no one really likes to be sick, but if you wind up coming down with something, might as well look on the positive side, right? So after putting in a few hours at work, I hit the wall and decided (with some prompting from a concerned coworker) that I better get my butt home before I started to feel so bad driving would become an issue. Once home, I immediately surrounded myself with blankets, my mini doxie, Joey and the usual sicky accoutrement of tissues, cough drops, and ginger ale (my go to). Being sick is no fun, I won’t argue that, but if you find yourself under the weather at least take advantage of some of the ‘perks’. Now you’ll have to excuse me, time for some more sleepy.
Love & Squirrels.